Healing 'Balm' for the Soul...
So, welcome to number 3 of 5 posts on my journey with depression and my departure (yes!) from it!
So, I think it is pivotal to have strategies or a 'toolbox' of practical and spiritual 'helpers' that you can turn to during your journey to being free of depression. So, Angel Heart, these are my offerings of love, comfort, spirit and healing to help you on your way. These are just some of the many heartfelt truths that I just had to share. You know we are all in this beautiful, crazy, thrilling, scary thing called life together. We all have our burdens, problems and demons in our lives. We are all scared sometimes. So here are my words of wisdom that I am offering up to you in the hope that your days can be filled with light, love and joy again...
As I am sitting here wondering what to share with you Dear Heart, I am looking back to when I could have done with some help to conquer my days of despair. What seedlings of hope, dreams and magic could I have welcomed into my aching heart? What would the ingredients be that went together to make a healing 'balm' for my soul?
Ways to take care of yourself:
Believe - Limited Edition Print on Wood
* You are NEVER alone - remember that.....
+ Know you are deeply LOVED. No matter what has come before or will come after, you ARE loved.
* You are truly wonderful Sweetpea, just as you are...
+ Take a brief moment each day to reflect on stuff that is going well for you. Gratitude is a great healer and grounding tool. This becomes even more powerful when written down!
* Treat yourself as if you were looking after your best friend. Nurture, soothe, comfort and love yourself. Don't take yourself for granted Sweetpea! You are not a robot! You are not a robot! woops...
+ Remember what you were like as a little girl? What were some activities that you loved to do? Give yourself 'permission' to try them again...
* Give time to 'just be....' Don't have something planned for every minute of the day. Take time to smell the roses (literally....).
+ Download this mantra 'I am enough...'. This is a little gift from me to you - click on this link for your FREE art poster! to print and display in your home - way hay! Hang it somewhere so that you can remind yourself of this truth often. (I have mine on my fridge). (Please feel free to pass it on...).
* Get help from where feels right for you. This might be a trusted counsellor, doctor, friend, the church, your partner etc.
+ Try to meditate. Clearing your mind of every day 'chatter' helps you begin to hear what you heart has to say. Being depressed can make you feel dis-connected. Let's change this to 'connected'.
* Make time to get out and be with nature. I find walking to be a great healer on lots of levels.
+ Don't bottle things up. Writing a journal/diary is a great way of getting everything off your chest and a general releasing of stuff. Don't 'judge' what you are writing. You can't do it wrong.... write what is on your heart...
* Avoid people who bring you down or make you feel bad about yourself. Surround yourself with people who empower you!
+ Say 'no' more often!
Be protective of your time and energy - if you are not sure about your answer, don't feel bad about asking for more time to think it over...
* Get enough good quality sleep.
Also, on the topic of sleep - I love a good nap! Sometimes it's just what I need. Don't feel guilty!
That was a lovely nap....
+ Try to drink water throughout the day. Don't wait until you are thirsty - that means you are already dehydrated, girlfriend.
* Monitor your thoughts. Watch your internal dialogue with yourself. Your thoughts are your reality remember. The 'vibes' you put out there; good or bad, are what come back to you. Make them goooooood!
This world is but a canvas to our imaginations... - Original on Canvas
+ Try to laugh often. Children are great to be around. Laughter is truly medicine for the soul.
I love a good 'belly laugh' don't you!
You know, the kind that makes your sides ache?
* Pray. Take time to reflect on our Creator, the Universe, God, Spirit, Universal Energy, Buddha or whichever term feels right to you. We are a part of the One and the One is an integral part of us.
+ Love is always the answer, no matter what....
This really helps me when I am not sure which way to turn:
What would Jesus have done?
What 'feels' right?
* If an old way of thinking doesn't serve you anymore - let it go...
+ Try not to worry - it's not worth the vital energy that it drains from your lifeforce.
* Don't be afraid to be yourself. The Universe needs YOU!
+ Find your inner gifts and share them with others.
* Make goals for yourself. Write them down and post them somewhere you can see throughout the day.
+ Make time for creativity. We are ALL creative beings. Creativity is a way of expressing who we are. So, whether it be cooking, knitting, drawing, gardening, icing cakes, making costumes, writing poems, the way we dress or decorate our home - make it authentic to YOU and what is in your heart.
* Don't be hard on yourself if you have a bad day, week, month etc. There is always tomorrow. We can't change yesterday or tomorrow. What we can change is the here and NOW!
+ Remember to eat a rainbow of fruit and vegetables each day.
* When a black cloud threatens to swallow you up, remember that it will pass, given time. Hold on my dearest....
+ Dance with your kids.... - this is a great tonic! The sillier the better...
* Notice the little things... - really seeing the details: like the way a flower opens up and blooms; or, your child's smile, the smell of vanilla or lavender etc.
+ God loves you just as you are but too much to leave you that way...
* My oldest son told me the other day, that there is no such word as 'can't', unless you add the word 'YET' - profound for a seven year old I thought! ha, ha....